Sean Wall, Brigadier, East Limerick Brigade, was born in Ardykeohane, Bruff in 1888. He was killed in tragic circumstances at Anacorty in May 1921.
Sean Wall was chairman of the Limerick County Council. He was married with a young family. His daughter, now a nun, still survives, as well as Gerard, Canon Wall, retired Parish Priest of Kilmallock. Comdt. Wall is remembered as an able commander. Around 1944, a committee of former IRA members set about erecting the memorial, which was finally unveiled in October 1952 by President Sean T. O'Reilly. The model for the statue was Joe Shanahan, Bruff/New York.Fr Tom Wall, C.C., Dromcollogher (1916), brother of Brigadier Sean Wall, with another priest, Fr Michael Hayes, C.C., was directly instrumental in bringing about the huge tide of support for the 1916 rising. According to Pat Quilty, that catalyst arose from the exchange of correspondence between Bishop Edward Thomas O'Dwyer, Limerick, and General (The Butcher) Sir John G Maxwell, officer commanding British forces in Ireland. This was another Bruff contribution to National Affairs.